From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 19:19:40
1 On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:08:45 -0500
2 Jim Ramsay <lack@g.o> wrote:
3 > But when you say "worth the complexity", I'm not exactly sure what
4 > your standards of "worthiness" are.
5 >
6 > I don't think the human cognition of a 2-level versioning scheme is
7 > that tricky, so I assume you must mean complexity in the internals of
8 > package managers - but this should just be a Simple Matter Of
9 > Programming.
10
11 People are struggling with the one level scheme we have now. We're
12 already having to produce fancy tables and summaries for new EAPIs
13 because people can't keep track of when features came along. Two levels
14 just means no-one will remember any of it.
15
16 For the package manager, it's just a bit of added mess, not any major
17 difficulty.
18
19 > (Of course I have no idea if people actually would accept a two-level
20 > EAPI any more than glep-55 as-is... I just think it addresses the
21 > concerns I've heard in this thread in a way that does not break
22 > the valid solutions to real problems presented in glep-55)
23
24 People are opposed to 55 because of a knee-jerk reaction against
25 changing file extensions and against doing anything that comes from
26 the great Satan and all his little minions... If you're going to throw
27 an equivalent but supposedly compromising solution at people, go for
28 '.eapi3.eb' instead.
31 Ciaran McCreesh