From: Jim Ramsay <lack@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 19:08:57
1 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 12:25:27 -0500
3 > Jim Ramsay <lack@g.o> wrote:
4 > > > ...and it means we can't change name or version rules.
5 > > >
6 > > > ...and it means over doubling the best possible time to work out a
7 > > > dependency tree in the common case where the metadata cache is
8 > > > valid.
9 > > >
10 > > > ...and it means we can't make arbitrary format changes.
11 > >
12 > > Those would all land in the category of "backwards compatibility"
13 > > mentioned below, as they would all break current sourcing rules.
14 >
15 > No, they're also future issues. Without glep 55, every time they come
16 > up we have to go through the whole mess again.
17
18 This minor/major EAPI scheme is exactly equivalent to glep 55 in
19 the ways that it addresses the non-implementation-specific
20 details - It could even be added as a caveat to glep-55 that says
21 something like:
22
23 "You should not change filename extension (ie, major-EAPI version, or
24 EPARSE version, or whatever we want to call it...) except when you *have
25 to* because of changes such as name or version rules, arbitrary format
26 changes, or anything else that breaks the sourcing rules of the
27 existing filename extensions. Simpler feature improvements can be done
28 using whatever internal minor-EAPI version is defined by the major-EAPI
29 version."
30
31 This doesn't prevent you from changing the filename extension when you
32 have to do so, it just suggests that maybe you don't have to do it for
33 every single feature-set you may want to implement.
34
35 > > > Developers already have to stop and think and consult the
36 > > > conveniently available table of features for EAPIs. By splitting
37 > > > the EAPI concept in two you're doubling the amount of data to be
38 > > > learnt.
39 > >
40 > > I would think that this is a very small cost, and the benefit would
41 > > be (I hope) that more people would agree on the solution and then
42 > > we can go forward. Is that not a valid consideration?
43 >
44 > I'd expect to see changes that would warrant a major bump in every
45 > other EAPI or so anyway, so it's not really worth the complexity.
46
47 If that is indeed the case, then adding this caveat to glep-55 is
48 basically a nop. If every EAPI includes a non-backwards-compatible
49 change that breaks existing PMs, the filename extension will be changed
50 every time.
51
52 But when you say "worth the complexity", I'm not exactly sure what
53 your standards of "worthiness" are.
54
55 I don't think the human cognition of a 2-level versioning scheme is
56 that tricky, so I assume you must mean complexity in the internals of
57 package managers - but this should just be a Simple Matter Of
58 Programming.
59
60 I'll further qualify this response by mentioning that I am not a package
61 manager maintainer. I don't know beans about metadata and cacheing and
62 what the tradeoffs may be between a two-level EAPI and a single-level
63 EAPI stored in the filename. I understand that parsing two-level EAPI
64 is "more expensive" than a single-level stored in the filename. I don't
65 however know how to figure out if it is "too expensive", or whose
66 subjective scale we should use to measure this.
67
68 I personally feel the "complexity" that you say is too costly is a fair
69 tradeoff for a proposal that people will accept.
70
71 (Of course I have no idea if people actually would accept a two-level
72 EAPI any more than glep-55 as-is... I just think it addresses the
73 concerns I've heard in this thread in a way that does not break
74 the valid solutions to real problems presented in glep-55)
77 Jim Ramsay
78 Gentoo Developer (rox/fluxbox/gkrellm/vim)