From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Upcoming repoman check will fail on large files in the tree
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:22:31
1 On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 05:07:27AM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 04:22:29 +0100 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 12:15:49 +0900 Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
5 > | wrote:
6 > | | What about not allowing binary files at all?
7 > |
8 > | That'd break ChangeLog.
9 No it won't.
10
11 > Ok, since I've been asked about this several times on IRC... Some people
12 > have names which include non-[A-Za-z] characters.
13 UTF8 != binary.
14 UTF8 is fine, it's specifically designed to co-exist with ASCII/ISO-8559-1.
15 As such, CVS handles UTF8 perfectly well (UTF16 is a different matter).
16
17 I'm in favour of removing all properly binary files from CVS, to get the
18 checkout size down. Brian's earlier list of files over 20k comprises
19 more than 9Mb of files, and that's a not even a complete list.
20
21 Could we please consider removing sys-apps/portage/files/portage-rescue*
22 from the tree?
23 These files are there, and comprise relatively large chunk of space.
24 portage-rescue-2.0.44-ppc.tbz2
25 portage-rescue-2.0.48-r1-sparc64.tbz2
26 portage-rescue-2.0.49-r3-alpha.tbz2
27 portage-rescue-2.0.48-r1-sparc.tbz2
28 portage-rescue-2.0.49-r15-amd64.tbz2
29
30 The x86 portage rescue has already gone, and the others should join it.
31 Leaving an README.RESCUE would be prudent.
32
33 > Incidentally, when are we going to officially standardise on UTF-8 for
34 > ChangeLog and ebuilds?
35 There is absolutely nothing I'm aware of stopping you from using UTF
36 already in ChangeLogs and ebuilds, barring some common sense
37 limitations, like bash not accepting non-ASCII for the names of
38 variables and functions.
41 Robin Hugh Johnson
42 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
43 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
44 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
45 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85