From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Upcoming repoman check will fail on large files in the tree
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:46:02
1 On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 00:00:01 -0700 "Robin H. Johnson"
2 <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
3 | > Ok, since I've been asked about this several times on IRC... Some
4 | > people have names which include non-[A-Za-z] characters.
5 | UTF8 != binary.
6
7 UFT-8 (sometimes) uses the upper bit on certain bytes. It is therefore,
8 in the traditional sense, binary. You could, of course, just not mark it
9 as such for CVS...
10
11 | > Incidentally, when are we going to officially standardise on UTF-8
12 | > for ChangeLog and ebuilds?
13 | There is absolutely nothing I'm aware of stopping you from using UTF
14 | already in ChangeLogs and ebuilds, barring some common sense
15 | limitations, like bash not accepting non-ASCII for the names of
16 | variables and functions.
17
18 No, but not everyone is using UTF-8, resulting in horridly mixed files.
19 Hence the "officially standardise". Right now we have a mess.
22 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
23 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
24 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm