From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 42 (Was: Getting Important Updates To Users)
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 19:47:08
1 On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 14:51 -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > Did you specifically ask them if it is because we have different news in
3 > different locations? Somehow I think you're obscuring some facts to
4 > make your own argument.
5
6 That seems an unpleasant accusation to make :(
7
8 The answer is that I didn't ask them if it was because we have different
9 news in different locations. The question didn't occur to me.
10
11 > The only problem that we have now with our multiple mediums is that not
12 > all news is on all mediums. We should have the same information going
13 > to all of these and let the user choose which method they like for
14 > getting news.
15
16 The critical difference between improving our existing mediums, and the
17 emerge --news approach that I've proposed, is that emerge --news is the
18 only approach that actively pushes news out to *all* users, and puts it
19 in a place that is as guaranteed as anything else available to catch
20 their attention.
21
22 All the other approaches rely on the user going somewhere to get news,
23 whether it's signing up to a mailing list, reading www.g.o, reading the
24 forums, or whatever. Inevitably, this is only going to reach a smaller
25 subsection of our user community.
26
27 What I care about is that we've taken the right steps to put important
28 information in front of *all* of our users (and our devs!). Even
29 (especially?) the ones who are unable to keep up with the news as it is
30 currently delivered.
31
32 Making sure our users are well-informed improves the level and quality
33 of service that we provide; it can only enhance our reputation; and it
34 should also cut down on the amount of developer time that goes into
35 post-upgrade support (leaving more time for package maintenance).
36
37 Best regards,
38 Stu
39 --
40 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
41 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
42 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
43
44 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
45 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C