From: Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting Important Updates To Users
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:15:26
1 Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 18:11 +0100, Simon Stelling wrote:
5 >
6 >>Doesn't make much sense to me. The biggest benefit from --news over other,
7 >>traditional channels would be that it's linked to the tree, meaning, if you
8 >>emerge a new kernel version which doesn't contain devfs anymore, the ebuild
9 >>would call something like enews ${FILESDIR}/blah which would then somehow make
10 >>emerge mention it.
13 > [snip]
14 >
15 > This isn't the problem I'm trying to get solved.
16 >
17 > You're talking about a reactive news system, telling users about the
18 > consequences of their actions. I'm after a pro-active news system,
19 > telling users about what will change, so that they have the information
20 > they need to plan upgrades.
21 >
22 > We need both.
23 We definitly need this. I'm reminded of the recent apache changes,
24 which could of been much less painful if we had something like this.
25 --
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list