From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting Important Updates To Users
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:01:40
1 Hi,
2
3 On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 18:11 +0100, Simon Stelling wrote:
4 > Doesn't make much sense to me. The biggest benefit from --news over other,
5 > traditional channels would be that it's linked to the tree, meaning, if you
6 > emerge a new kernel version which doesn't contain devfs anymore, the ebuild
7 > would call something like enews ${FILESDIR}/blah which would then somehow make
8 > emerge mention it.
9
10 [snip]
11
12 This isn't the problem I'm trying to get solved.
13
14 You're talking about a reactive news system, telling users about the
15 consequences of their actions. I'm after a pro-active news system,
16 telling users about what will change, so that they have the information
17 they need to plan upgrades.
18
19 We need both.
20
21 But anyone using Gentoo outside of their bedroom or classroom needs to
22 know what we are planning, and when those plans will happen.
23
24 > Information that doesn't belong to a specific package or a specific version
25 > should be sent to gentoo-announce IMO, we really don't need portage to be more
26 > than a package manager.
27
28 I'm firmly of the opinion that gentoo-announce doesn't solve the problem
29 as effectively as delivering news via emerge sync. People have to go
30 sign up to gentoo-announce. It seems unlikely that you'll get a high
31 percentage of the user base doing this. My personal experience with
32 opensource projects is that you'll get 10-20% of users signing up, tops.
33
34 I don't think delivering news to just 20% of our userbase is a
35 fit-for-purpose solution.
36
37 Delivering the news via Portage has the distinct advantage that it will
38 reach every user who types 'emerge sync'.
39
40 > Reading gentoo-announce should be mandatory.
41
42 I think that statement ignores a basic human truth - that not every user
43 likes using mailing lists. Just like not every user likes using forums.
44
45 > If a user breaks his system because
46 > he didn't know about an important fact due to his lazyness, that's not our
47 > problem. Of course they will still bitch, so let's introduce RESOLVED RTF_ML_.
48
49 Mmm ... but I think you haven't understood the original problem from
50 their perspective. We're not dealing with users (or devs for that
51 matter! it's not just users who've been caught out by our changes) who
52 are lazy.
53
54 Best regards,
55 Stu
56 --
57 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
58 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
59 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
60
61 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
62 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C