From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting Important Updates To Users
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 17:16:11
1 Hi,
2
3 Stuart Herbert wrote:
4 > It would be great if emerge --news displayed the same news as www.g.o.
5
6 Doesn't make much sense to me. The biggest benefit from --news over other,
7 traditional channels would be that it's linked to the tree, meaning, if you
8 emerge a new kernel version which doesn't contain devfs anymore, the ebuild
9 would call something like enews ${FILESDIR}/blah which would then somehow make
10 emerge mention it. [Implementational detail: Sending it to root@localhost too
11 would be very nice.]
12
13 I don't see the point in reading a news item telling me that I have to do $foo
14 because package $bar breaks otherwise when I don't have package $bar at all.
15
16 On the other side, we already have einfo and friends, which currently are
17 probably the most important channels. The often get ignored because there were
18 no such tools like elog, but that will be fixed soon anyway, and people will
19 probably read the notices again, because they don't just get lost in 50k lines
20 of make output.
21
22 Information that doesn't belong to a specific package or a specific version
23 should be sent to gentoo-announce IMO, we really don't need portage to be more
24 than a package manager.
25
26 > I started this discussion because I've experienced that the percentage
27 > of users who read our existing news outlets isn't high enough to reach
28 > many of them in the first place ;-)
29
30 Reading gentoo-announce should be mandatory. If a user breaks his system because
31 he didn't know about an important fact due to his lazyness, that's not our
32 problem. Of course they will still bitch, so let's introduce RESOLVED RTF_ML_.
33
34 Regards,
37 Simon Stelling
38 Gentoo/AMD64 Operational Co-Lead