From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Getting Important Updates To Users
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 00:58:19
1 Stuart Herbert posted <1130784979.10542.32.camel@××××××××××××××.org>,
2 excerpted below, on Mon, 31 Oct 2005 18:56:19 +0000:
3
4 >> Reading gentoo-announce should be mandatory.
5 >
6 > I think that statement ignores a basic human truth - that not every user
7 > likes using mailing lists. Just like not every user likes using forums.
8
9 While you have a point, note that lists aren't the /only/ way posts to
10 announce get spread. As I mentioned in a post to a different subthread,
11 the real circulation of announce is far higher. I and presumably a decent
12 number of others read it thru gmane's list2news gateway. (As you say, not
13 everyone likes mail, I prefer news.) As announce will be read-only for
14 most folks, those reading it there won't subscribe thru Gentoo in digest
15 or vacation mode as they do with this list, for instance.
16
17 LWN.net is another well recognized source for news in the Linux community,
18 and they cover Gentoo well enough that it's where I first got interested
19 in Gentoo. (I also rate LWN highly enough that I'm willing to
20 pay them real money for a subscription, a rare thing for internet news
21 sites, beyond the WSJ at least.) Currently, LWN covers releases, GLSAs,
22 and of course GWN. LWN probably gets the GLSAs and release
23 announcements thru the announce list (and likely gets GWN thru its list),
24 so would cover other news, if posted to announce, as well.
29 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
30 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list