From: Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CPU subprofiles
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 16:28:27
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 08:36:32 -0500 Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | Chris Gianelloni wrote:
5 > | [snip]
6 > | > This means it is now 36 profiles to support, if we dropped support
7 > | > on all profiles except for the new ones. Without having any sort of
8 > | > multiple inheritance available, this is really unmanageable.
9 > |
10 > | This is exactly the same reason why amd64 won't move to a per CPU
11 > | subprofile. it might be a good idea for ppc, but not for us.
12 >
13 > I believe all discussion on CPU subprofiles has started with "if we had
14 > multiple profile support then". Would the situation be any different if
15 > it were just a case of telling Portage to use
16 > base/default-linux/x86/2008.1 + extras/x86/cpu/pentium4?
17 >
18 that would make it feasible, still not convinced it's the right way to go...
19 --
20 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list