From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CPU subprofiles (was: Replacing cpu-feature USE flags)
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 16:17:52
1 On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 08:36:32 -0500 Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | Chris Gianelloni wrote:
4 | [snip]
5 | > This means it is now 36 profiles to support, if we dropped support
6 | > on all profiles except for the new ones. Without having any sort of
7 | > multiple inheritance available, this is really unmanageable.
8 |
9 | This is exactly the same reason why amd64 won't move to a per CPU
10 | subprofile. it might be a good idea for ppc, but not for us.
11
12 I believe all discussion on CPU subprofiles has started with "if we had
13 multiple profile support then". Would the situation be any different if
14 it were just a case of telling Portage to use
15 base/default-linux/x86/2008.1 + extras/x86/cpu/pentium4?
18 Ciaran McCreesh
19 Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list