From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] System Recovery - New Core Functionality request...
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 03:59:30
1 Isn't that more or less what mondo does?
2
3 "the wheel has been invented'
4 :-)
5
6 On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:52:31 -0400
7 Charles Marcus <CMarcus@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
8
9 > Hi all,
10 >
11 > I am sending this to both the User and Dev lists because I think it
12 > requires consideration from both the developers and users. I hope no one
13 > minds...
14 >
15 > I want to see how anyone/everyone else feels about such an enhancement
16 > request before I submit it formally...
17 >
18 > Something that I have always wished for, whether on a Windows system or
19 > Linux distro, is the native ability to *easily* (think 'brain-dead
20 > simple') make an emergency bootable Recovery CD/DVD.
21 >
22 > I think this should be simple for a good programmer, since all of the
23 > parts are available under the GPL. If I were a programmer, this message
24 > would be an announcement of an ebuild for just this purpose, but alas, I
25 > am not.
26 >
27 > So, here is my suggestion:
28 >
29 > Create an ebuild - call it 'SysRecover' or whatever - that simply allows
30 > one to create an emergency, bootable CD/DVD of their system. It should
31 > be flexible enough to allow selection of any or all partitions.
32 >
33 > I know that one who is capable can already set this up themselves, but
34 > what I am talking about is something that requires ZERO configuration by
35 > the one doing the install. Just 'emerge sysrecover', then issue the
36 > appropriate command:
37 >
38 > mksysrec -all
39 > mksysrec -mycustom (where 'mycustom' is simply a text file with a list
40 > of the partitions to be included)
41 > mksysrec -/boot
42 > mksysrec -/boot -/etc
43 > you get the idea
44 >
45 > Ultimately, I think this should be made a part of the core
46 > functionality, but an ebuild would work just as well for my purposes.
47 >
48 > Yhink of it... someone spend hours, days, or even weeks getting their
49 > system(s) just the way they want it(them). This would enable them to
50 > make a bootable snapshot any time they wanted to a CD/DVD, ultimately
51 > doing so once they have it just the way they want it. Then they could
52 > simply make updates whenever they make major changes, as well as make a
53 > recovery CD before they do anything major to a production system.
54 >
55 > Comments? Flames?
56 >
57 > Charles