From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2004.1 will not include a secure portage.
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:07:10
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Wednesday 24 March 2004 14:47, Jesse Nelson wrote:
5 >
6 > not bout stopping intrusion just that its a verry likely poisioning
7 > scenario, and even if the signing key dies after 1 day.. if i got root
8 > on the server i just update. besides now theres 1 days worth of sync's
9 > out in the wild with compromised builds/pataches/binaries.
10
11 What I want to say is that it is more likely that the compromised time
12 will be longer anyway so the (on average) 1/2 day extra doesn't matter
13 that much.
14
15 > > There is no way to stop this before that person is identified in any
16 > > case. After this person is identified his keys will be revoked and
17 > > all the packages signed by him/her are invalid. They will need to be
18 > > resigned by someone else to be valid again.
19 >
20 > you can stop this buy:
21 > having multiple eyes have to see the changes b4 a commit to rysnc
22 > servers, and it follows that you would then have multiple sigs for a
23 > item (build/dist/patch) etc or multiple sigs on a sums file.
24
25 It would only change the case so that 2 dev's private keys need to be
26 compromised. It makes it more secure but not 100% secure. I think that
27 100% secure is an illusion that we should not shoot for initially.
28 Multiple signing while an improvement will increase security, but first
29 get single signing in place and then do multiple signing. Single signing
30 will be hard enough.
31
32 > this could also go through a security review b4 goin out live. Instead
33 > of say relying on ppl cross-checking. A defined security team could
34 > have to sign b4 release, but i doubt eaither of these would go over
35 > well with already overloaded devs.
36
37 We don't have such a QA/security team and would need serious
38 reorganization to implement such a system. This makes it practically
39 impossible to implement within 6 months.
40
41 > its a QA issue.. its really a process issue.. building QA/security
42 > into the release cycle.
43
44 Yes, it is. However with over 200 developers changing things overnight is
45 like trying to change the direction of a mammuth oil tanker 90 degrees
46 in 15 minutes. It is plain impossible.
47
48 Paul
49
50 ps. hint: things need to go by small nudges and lots of patience
51
52 - --
53 Paul de Vrieze
54 Gentoo Developer