From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: New category proposal
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 07:23:51
1 maillog: 11/05/2005-16:10:48(+0900): çÅÏÒÇÉ çÅÏÒÇÉÅ× types
2 > maillog: 10/05/2005-22:59:42(-0700): Duncan types
3 > > BTW, it'd be very handy to have "slotted" bin-pkgs as well, "slotted" as
4 > > in allowing me to do things like test a gcc4 created package, without
5 > > erasing my gcc-3.4 created bin-pkg, in case something doesn't work, and
6 > > without having to remember to manually copy/move the existing bin-pkg
7 > > first to keep that backup. A feature to enable some arbitrary identifier
8 > > in the binpkg name, or an arbitrary string as a binpkg subdir path
9 > > fragment, would be very helpful. Something like FEATURES=binpkg-name then
10 > > enabling a BINPKG-NAME=gcc4, to then either create a $PKGDIR/gcc4 subtree,
11 > > or $PKGDIR/All/package-version.gcc4.tbz2 type package and appropriate
12 > > symlink. One could then just remember to change the $BINPKG-NAME entry in
13 > > make.conf whenever one runs gcc-config, or whenever one triggers whatever
14 > > switch and desires a corresponding binpkg-slot change. Anything like this
15 > > in the works?
16 >
17 > PKGDIR=/usr/portage-pkg/gcc4 emerge -B app-admin/sudo
18 >
19 > That ought to do what you want it to do. But then, portage will be
20 > unable to untar-uncompress-sed/awk/whatever-tar-compress
21
22 Uh, seems I was wrong here. Looking at portage.py there is no mention of
23 compress/uncomrpess. Only a copy stuff away, copy it back. I did have
24 the feeling that it used to be that way but, well, I guess I was
25 mistaken.
26
27 > (refering to "fixpackages" by its full name here) the binary packages
28
29 - referring -- screw them misspelled HTTP headers >:|
30
31 > in your custom location if a package in there jumps categories. Wow,
32 > I managed to get back on topic :)
35 / Georgi Georgiev / Life would be so much easier if we could /
36 \ chutz@×××.net \ just look at the source code. -- Dave Olson \
37 / +81(90)2877-8845 / /
38 --
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list