From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: New category proposal
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 07:10:47
1 maillog: 10/05/2005-22:59:42(-0700): Duncan types
2 > BTW, it'd be very handy to have "slotted" bin-pkgs as well, "slotted" as
3 > in allowing me to do things like test a gcc4 created package, without
4 > erasing my gcc-3.4 created bin-pkg, in case something doesn't work, and
5 > without having to remember to manually copy/move the existing bin-pkg
6 > first to keep that backup. A feature to enable some arbitrary identifier
7 > in the binpkg name, or an arbitrary string as a binpkg subdir path
8 > fragment, would be very helpful. Something like FEATURES=binpkg-name then
9 > enabling a BINPKG-NAME=gcc4, to then either create a $PKGDIR/gcc4 subtree,
10 > or $PKGDIR/All/package-version.gcc4.tbz2 type package and appropriate
11 > symlink. One could then just remember to change the $BINPKG-NAME entry in
12 > make.conf whenever one runs gcc-config, or whenever one triggers whatever
13 > switch and desires a corresponding binpkg-slot change. Anything like this
14 > in the works?
15
16 PKGDIR=/usr/portage-pkg/gcc4 emerge -B app-admin/sudo
17
18 That ought to do what you want it to do. But then, portage will be
19 unable to untar-uncompress-sed/awk/whatever-tar-compress (refering to
20 "fixpackages" by its full name here) the binary packages in your custom
21 location if a package in there jumps categories. Wow, I managed to get
22 back on topic :)
25 / Georgi Georgiev / What's all this brouhaha? /
26 \ chutz@×××.net \ \
27 / +81(90)2877-8845 / /
28 --
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list