From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: New category proposal
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 06:00:16
1 Brian Harring posted <20050511050920.GC17034@××××××××××.org>, excerpted
2 below, on Wed, 11 May 2005 00:09:20 -0500:
3
4 > One thing that just clicked in the skull on why flat-tree has issues;
5 > currently it's possible to have a package with the same name, yet a
6 > differing category (app-vim/sudo vs app-admin/sudo).
7 >
8 > Since our tree layout is based upon category, if you tried shifting the
9 > focus of it to packages_in anyway_, you would explicitly disallow same
10 > name packages, different category. Doesn't matter how you structure the
11 > tree, if you do lookup into the tree based on package, not category, you
12 > disallow same named packages.
13
14 While I'm not a flat tree supporter per se, duplicate packages are IMO a
15 bad thing in any case, for two reasons.
16
17 1) Human. It's frustrating to do emerge sudo and have it tell you to
18 specify, when there's only /one/ "normal" sudo. The /other/ sudo should
19 be vim-sudo or whatever, as you mention later.
20
21 2) Bin-pkgs. As currently structured, we have a de-facto "flat" bin-pkgs
22 layout anyway, since the tree is simply a bunch of symlinks pointing to
23 the $PKGDIR/All dir that /all/ the packages land in. Clashing packages is
24 NOT a good thing, as I'm sure you are aware. /Something/ really needs to
25 be done about this one. Any possible light at the end of the tunnel here?
26
27 BTW, it'd be very handy to have "slotted" bin-pkgs as well, "slotted" as
28 in allowing me to do things like test a gcc4 created package, without
29 erasing my gcc-3.4 created bin-pkg, in case something doesn't work, and
30 without having to remember to manually copy/move the existing bin-pkg
31 first to keep that backup. A feature to enable some arbitrary identifier
32 in the binpkg name, or an arbitrary string as a binpkg subdir path
33 fragment, would be very helpful. Something like FEATURES=binpkg-name then
34 enabling a BINPKG-NAME=gcc4, to then either create a $PKGDIR/gcc4 subtree,
35 or $PKGDIR/All/package-version.gcc4.tbz2 type package and appropriate
36 symlink. One could then just remember to change the $BINPKG-NAME entry in
37 make.conf whenever one runs gcc-config, or whenever one triggers whatever
38 switch and desires a corresponding binpkg-slot change. Anything like this
39 in the works? Should I file an enhancement bug? Maybe the ability is
40 there already and I just don't know it, as with the very cool make.conf
41 "source" feature I saw mentioned on the amd64 list?
42
43 BTW2, does the "." shortcut work in make.conf? I can envision a make.conf
44 that's simply a half dozen or so lines of "source
45 /etc/portage/make.network.conf", ". /etc/portage/make.useflags.conf", etc.
46 Is that documented anywhere, yet? When (version) was it introduced?
51 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
52 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
56 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list