From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: New category proposal
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 06:49:57
1 On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 10:59:42PM -0700, Duncan wrote:
2 > > Since our tree layout is based upon category, if you tried shifting the
3 > > focus of it to packages_in anyway_, you would explicitly disallow same
4 > > name packages, different category. Doesn't matter how you structure the
5 > > tree, if you do lookup into the tree based on package, not category, you
6 > > disallow same named packages.
7 >
8 > While I'm not a flat tree supporter per se, duplicate packages are IMO a
9 > bad thing in any case, for two reasons.
10 >
11 > 1) Human. It's frustrating to do emerge sudo and have it tell you to
12 > specify, when there's only /one/ "normal" sudo. The /other/ sudo should
13 > be vim-sudo or whatever, as you mention later.
14
15 Yeah, it's usually something I hit everytime I build a new box- it is
16 valid though, and I think it makes sense. app-vim/sudo
17 makes sense in the context of the category, just the same as
18 app-admin/sudo does. While frustrating, I still posit it's not a huge
19 problem. The actual number of conflicts I haven't looked up, but I
20 would expect it's not huge in comparison to the # of packages we have.
21
22 > 2) Bin-pkgs. As currently structured, we have a de-facto "flat" bin-pkgs
23 > layout anyway, since the tree is simply a bunch of symlinks pointing to
24 > the $PKGDIR/All dir that /all/ the packages land in. Clashing packages is
25 > NOT a good thing, as I'm sure you are aware. /Something/ really needs to
26 > be done about this one. Any possible light at the end of the tunnel here?
27
28 Binpkgs implementation sucks.
29 The current "slap em all in a dir and abuse symlinks"
30 bit can be dodged down the line.
33 > BTW, it'd be very handy to have "slotted" bin-pkgs as well, "slotted" as
34 > in allowing me to do things like test a gcc4 created package, without
35 > erasing my gcc-3.4 created bin-pkg, in case something doesn't work, and
36 > without having to remember to manually copy/move the existing bin-pkg
37 > first to keep that backup. A feature to enable some arbitrary identifier
38 > in the binpkg name, or an arbitrary string as a binpkg subdir path
39 > fragment, would be very helpful. Something like FEATURES=binpkg-name then
40 > enabling a BINPKG-NAME=gcc4, to then either create a $PKGDIR/gcc4 subtree,
41 > or $PKGDIR/All/package-version.gcc4.tbz2 type package and appropriate
42 > symlink. One could then just remember to change the $BINPKG-NAME entry in
43 > make.conf whenever one runs gcc-config, or whenever one triggers whatever
44 > switch and desires a corresponding binpkg-slot change. Anything like this
45 > in the works?
46 Umm. yes?
47 Cleanup of stuff in general is in the works, including (done when it's
48 done) binpkg handling being tweaked, which may or may not cover the
49 huge-ass block of requests above :)
50
51 > Should I file an enhancement bug? Maybe the ability is
52 > there already and I just don't know it, as with the very cool make.conf
53 > "source" feature I saw mentioned on the amd64 list?
54 >
55 > BTW2, does the "." shortcut work in make.conf? I can envision a make.conf
56 > that's simply a half dozen or so lines of "source
57 > /etc/portage/make.network.conf", ". /etc/portage/make.useflags.conf", etc.
58 > Is that documented anywhere, yet? When (version) was it introduced?
59
60 Source works, not sure when it was added, but it's not source in the
61 sense of bash's source; it just makes the make.conf
62 interpretter/parser (it's not bash based) go and read whatever it's
63 pointed at.
64
65 2.0.51.19 has it at least, possibly earlier. '.' however doesn't fly,
66 from what I can see source wise at least.
67 ~brian
68 --
69 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list