From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: New category proposal
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 10:04:43
1 Brian Harring posted <20050511065023.GE17034@××××××××××.org>, excerpted
2 below, on Wed, 11 May 2005 01:50:23 -0500:
3
4 > Umm. yes?
5 > Cleanup of stuff in general is in the works, including (done when it's
6 > done) binpkg handling being tweaked, which may or may not cover the
7 > huge-ass block of requests above :)
8
9 I see I didn't effectively convey what I wanted, then, if the description
10 is a "huge-ass block of requests". =8^) Let's see if I can reword it a
11 bit more effectively...
12
13 What I had in mind (and tried to describe), was a /single/ (if large)
14 /general/ feature, call it FEATURE=binpkg-name, to be combined with a
15 second parameter enabled by that feature, BINPKG-NAME=<whatever>.
16 <whatever> would then either be a) created as a subdir of the existing
17 $PKGDIR, or b) appended to the name of the package in the existing dir,
18 preferably creating a double-extension, as in bash-3.0-r11.gcc4.tbz2, if
19 (as in my example, the reason I'd presently find this useful)
20 BINPKG-NAME="gcc4".
21
22 Thus, for this specific use, I'd either a) have a $PKGDIR/gcc4 subtree in
23 addition to the normal $PKGDIR subtree (which would be equivalent to
24 BINPKG-NAME=""), or b) have individual packages such as
25 bash-3.0-r11.gcc4.tbz2, as well as possibly having the normal
26 bash-3.0-r11.tbz2, with the feature or BINPKG-NAME var unset.
27
28 However, as envisioned, the feature would be generalized enough to allow
29 all sorts of other uses as well, perhaps for MULTILIB (MULTIAPP??) folks,
30 a separate 32-bit and 64-bit copy of the same package, use of the same
31 general $PKGDIR location with different archs due to the possible subtrees
32 (or subnames), or for any other sort of testing or local use where
33 creating a binpkg that doesn't overwrite a previous version might be
34 useful. The key here is that the feature as implemented would be general
35 enough to allow all sorts of local flexibility as to how it was used.
36
37 So far, I've only discussed portage binpkg creation. Use of those
38 additional binpkg subtrees/subnames could remain manual only, requiring
39 the user/admin to shuffle the desired binpkg back into the default
40 location, and still be quite useful. Alternatively, and probably when
41 the second half of implementation is complete, portage would account for
42 the feature, and if it was on read the var and draw from the appropriate
43 subtree/subname (a or b options above) as configured.
44
45 /IF/ that makes any more sense... Single feature, implemented as a toggle
46 feature with a var pointer, thus generalizing the use.
47
48 If the above were to be implemented, gcc-config could then possibly take
49 advantage of it, appending to the local installation set BINPKG-NAME var
50 for experimental versions of gcc. If the feature was set, it would then
51 automatically create its own experimental binpkgs which wouldn't overwrite
52 existing versions. If the feature was unset, setting BINPKG-NAME
53 wouldn't have any effect.
58 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
59 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
63 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list