From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: New category proposal
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 10:36:07
1 Duncan posted <pan.2005.05.11.10.03.13.603585@×××.net>, excerpted below,
2 on Wed, 11 May 2005 03:03:14 -0700:
3
4 > I see I didn't effectively convey what I wanted, then, if the description
5 > is a "huge-ass block of requests". =8^) Let's see if I can reword it a
6 > bit more effectively...
7 >
8 > What I had in mind (and tried to describe), was a /single/ (if large)
9 > /general/ feature, call it FEATURE=binpkg-name, to be combined with a
10 > second parameter enabled by that feature, BINPKG-NAME=<whatever>.
11
12 Never mind... It seems the feature I wanted is already there, only I
13 wasn't thinking broadly enough. Georgi Georgiev pointed it out...
14
15 My proposal would have allowed a bit more automation, but at FAR more
16 complexity. Better leaving well enough alone.
17
18 Portage's flexibility in sysadmin customizability continues to amaze me.
19 It really /is/ an awesome system Gentoo has built, when one thinks about
20 it. =8^) Sometimes in the minutia of discussion we (I, anyway) forget
21 just how awesomely flexible the existing toolset actually is!
22 Definitely "standing on the shoulders of giants", we owe drobbins and
23 indeed, the FBSD ports system from which he got a lot of inspiration, a
24 great deal of gratitude. That's not forgetting current developers, of
25 course. =8^)
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
31 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list