From: Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Moving project pages to wiki.gentoo.org
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 10:48:57
1 10.06.2013 19:15, Alex Legler пишет:
2 > On 10.06.2013 14:36, Sergey Popov wrote:
3 >> 09.06.2013 18:22, Alex Legler пишет:
4 >>> I'd appreciate some input on below plan to move project pages to the Wiki:
5 >>>
6 >>> Motivation
7 >>> ----------
8 >>>
9 >>> The main motivation is to reduce the contents on the main website,
10 >>> allowing for an easier makeover. Also, the Wiki exposes the contents and
11 >>> an editing capability to more people, allowing for better collaboration.
12 >>> Finally, this is an opportunity for projects to go through the contents
13 >>> in their project spaces and update/remove outdated contents as well
14 >>> Gentoo as a whole to remove orphaned projects.
15 >>
16 >> Err, i do not want to say that wiki is not suite for this purpose, but
17 >> what's wrong with current situation? Is there something wrong with gorg?
18 >
19 > The software is unmaintained, and the website template is next to
20 > unmaintainable. I could go on a bit more about this, but I think these
21 > two points *alone* justify moving away from it.
22 >
23 >> Well, it is not always clear how to use some of it's features, but apart
24 >> of that, why we should migrate to wiki?
25 >>
26 >> Just to clear orphaned project pages?
27 >
28 > No, I described multiple points. Again:
29 > - Less contents on www.g.o -> we can much more easily relaunch it
30 > - Users can more easily contribute to project documentation
31 > - Update/purge project documentation
32 > - Remove orphaned projects
35 I did not know that gorg is not maintained. So yeah, in that case, i
36 understand your decision.
39 >> Why we can not just have official project pages, maintained as usual
40 >> through gorg and additional info in wiki(if it is needed, for example,
41 >> like we do on Gentoo Qt project page?
44 > In case it wasn't clear enough yet: This is step 1 of n to get rid of
45 > gorg and GuideXML for the website (read: not main docs) aspects of Gentoo.
46 > Running two project page venues increases maintenance instead of
47 > lowering it. I intend to have less work after this change, not more.
48 >
49 > Do you have any concerns beyond 'never change a running system'?
52 For now - no, i am not. Thanks for clearing things for me.
55 Best regards, Sergey Popov
56 Gentoo developer
57 Gentoo Desktop Effects project lead
58 Gentoo Qt project lead