From: Alex Legler <a3li@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Moving project pages to wiki.gentoo.org
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 15:15:07
1 On 10.06.2013 14:36, Sergey Popov wrote:
2 > 09.06.2013 18:22, Alex Legler пишет:
3 >> I'd appreciate some input on below plan to move project pages to the Wiki:
4 >>
5 >> Motivation
6 >> ----------
7 >>
8 >> The main motivation is to reduce the contents on the main website,
9 >> allowing for an easier makeover. Also, the Wiki exposes the contents and
10 >> an editing capability to more people, allowing for better collaboration.
11 >> Finally, this is an opportunity for projects to go through the contents
12 >> in their project spaces and update/remove outdated contents as well
13 >> Gentoo as a whole to remove orphaned projects.
14 >
15 > Err, i do not want to say that wiki is not suite for this purpose, but
16 > what's wrong with current situation? Is there something wrong with gorg?
17
18 The software is unmaintained, and the website template is next to
19 unmaintainable. I could go on a bit more about this, but I think these
20 two points *alone* justify moving away from it.
21
22 > Well, it is not always clear how to use some of it's features, but apart
23 > of that, why we should migrate to wiki?
24 >
25 > Just to clear orphaned project pages?
26
27 No, I described multiple points. Again:
28 - Less contents on www.g.o -> we can much more easily relaunch it
29 - Users can more easily contribute to project documentation
30 - Update/purge project documentation
31 - Remove orphaned projects
34 > Why we can not just have official project pages, maintained as usual
35 > through gorg and additional info in wiki(if it is needed, for example,
36 > like we do on Gentoo Qt project page?
39 In case it wasn't clear enough yet: This is step 1 of n to get rid of
40 gorg and GuideXML for the website (read: not main docs) aspects of Gentoo.
41 Running two project page venues increases maintenance instead of
42 lowering it. I intend to have less work after this change, not more.
43
44 Do you have any concerns beyond 'never change a running system'?
47 Alex Legler <a3li@g.o>
48 Gentoo Security/Ruby/Infrastructure