From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Disabling locale at emerge output
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 05:25:33
1 Jeroen Roovers posted on Mon, 25 Apr 2011 03:57:30 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > In my opinion, what we should do instead is acknowledge the policy
4 > that's been in place all along, that is to require build logs with
5 > "universally" appreciated error messages, and reinforce that policy
6 > using technical means, instead of having asking users nicely every time
7 > for something they may not even be aware of.
8
9 I've no problem with that, as long as is traditional with Gentoo, we give
10 users a clear override, should they have reason to believe the want/need
11 it.
12
13 I'd also have no problem with closing bugs as NEEDINFO if they file with
14 non-English errors and the like, regardless of whether any additional
15 technical measures to ensure English errors by default are taken. Even in
16 the event of real-locale-bug exceptions such as locale dependent alphanum
17 ordering bugs, I'd say an entirely proper gentoo resolution is UPSTREAM.
18
19 So you see I much more agree with you than disagree. I'm simply saying,
20 let there be an override if the user insists, just as Gentoo normally lets
21 the user override pretty much anything, if they insist. As long as that
22 override is there to be used if necessary, go for it!
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman