From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Disabling locale at emerge output
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 01:58:26
1 On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 21:55:13 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > The odds should be /vastly/ improved.
5
6 Oh, you want to wrangle bugs too? How fast can you type "Please post
7 your `emerge --info' output too."? :)
8
9 > 1) FEATURES=locale would be off by default, so portage would build
10 > with POSIX locale by default.
11
12 We might as well skip the entire FEATURES=locale and simply detect the
13 actual locale instead. Not that I think this would help us, but adding
14 a FEATURE to discourage people from using that very same feature does
15 sound like a bad design to me.
16
17 In my opinion, what we should do instead is acknowledge the policy
18 that's been in place all along, that is to require build logs with
19 "universally" appreciated error messages, and reinforce that policy
20 using technical means, instead of having asking users nicely every
21 time for something they may not even be aware of.
24 jer