From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Disabling locale at emerge output
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 21:56:28
1 Jeroen Roovers posted on Sun, 24 Apr 2011 18:48:53 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 19:53:36 +0200 "Andreas K. Huettel"
4 > <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
7 >> How about a portage "feature" that is off by default? Like, "locale"
8 >> meaning "build with locale"?
9 >
10 > You mean we should settle for only slightly improved odds of getting a
11 > build log we all can read?
12
13 The odds should be /vastly/ improved.
14
15 1) FEATURES=locale would be off by default, so portage would build with
16 POSIX locale by default.
17
18 2) The feature description could suitably strongly discourage turning it
19 on if one plans to file bugs at all, and/or turning it off to file those
20 bugs (thus further discouraging turning it on in the first place).
21
22 3) Can features be masked in the profiles? If so, mask the feature if
23 felt necessary, requiring jumping thru even more MORE hoops to turn it on,
24 thus discouraging it even further.
25
26 But regardless of the fact that I only personally do English, I do believe
27 the option should remain for those who wish to change it, to do so,
28 regardless of how strongly discouraged said option might be. (Funny, I
29 never thought I'd be taking /this/ side of such an argument! =;^0 )
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman