From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] News item: GCC 6 defaults to USE="pie ssp"
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 07:35:10
1 On Tue, 09 May 2017 18:13:06 -0500
2 Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > For a transition we can probably build everything with -fPIE but not
5 > > link with -pie. If we want that to happen fast, gcc-6 might do that
6 > > and gcc-7 add the -pie option.
7 >
8 > I am not entirely convinced that a transition period of one gcc
9 > version is enough for a smooth transition [1].
10
11 In theory, a transition period won't help. It'll probably mitigate the
12 user issues by a lot though. Note that by being a source based rolling
13 distro we're quite different than e.g. fedora rebuilding all their repo
14 at each release.
15
16 [...]
17 > Related to that
18 >
19 > - for which architectures shall we unmask the use flag?
20
21 Keep in mind that if the performance implications are almost inexistent
22 for amd64, pie might have serious implications on other arches. x86
23 eating one register for pie/pic and lacking an easy way to write pic
24 safe asm is a very well known problematic arch.
25
26 Which raises the question: What happens for multilib amd64 ?
29 [...]
30 > [3] The fallout I currently see due to enabled USE=pie is noticeably
31 > but by no stretch crazy bad. After all, static linkage is rarely used
32 > (with the exception of some languages).
33
34 After only a few days in ~arch and no tinderbox run I'd say that's
35 pretty normal :)
36
37 static linkage is more present than one would like though; and it's not
38 only -static, but also libs that do not make sense or break when shared
39 (libfl comes to mind)
42 Alexis.