From: Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] News item: GCC 6 defaults to USE="pie ssp"
Date: Tue, 09 May 2017 23:13:26
1 > For a transition we can probably build everything with -fPIE but not
2 > link with -pie. If we want that to happen fast, gcc-6 might do that and
3 > gcc-7 add the -pie option.
4
5 I am not entirely convinced that a transition period of one gcc version
6 is enough for a smooth transition [1].
7
8 It might be better to go through a quick transition process that
9 requires a world rebuild. - In particular we already forced everyone on
10 ~amd64 to play beta tester in this regard [2,3].
11
12 Anyway the current use flag situation is a mess and has to be cleaned
13 up asap.
14
15 So, dos anyone recall why USE=pie was masked for >gcc-6.2 for everyone
16 except amd64?
17
18 Related to that
19
20 - for which architectures shall we unmask the use flag?
21
22 - shall we use.force a certain behavior per profile, or keep the flag
23 unpinned?
26 After having thought about the issue for a bit I still want to propose
27 what we have already accidentally done - switch to USE=pie per default
28 for gcc-6.
29
30 Best,
31 Matthias
34 [1] Indeed *every* major linux distribution for which I have an lxc
35 container has -pie enabled. If we decide on some slow transition we
36 risk to be late to the party by quite a bit.
37
38 [2] Which is extremely unfortunate.
39
40 [3] The fallout I currently see due to enabled USE=pie is noticeably but
41 by no stretch crazy bad. After all, static linkage is rarely used
42 (with the exception of some languages).