From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] News item: GCC 6 defaults to USE="pie ssp"
Date: Tue, 09 May 2017 22:47:52
1 On Tue, 9 May 2017 23:18:20 +0200
2 Hanno Böck <hanno@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > On Tue, 09 May 2017 15:55:36 -0500
7 > Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
8 >
9 > > Well, Alexis certainly makes a strong point. Breaking installed
10 > > static archives by changing a use flag shouldn't be as easy as
11 > > changing a useflag. So we might simply use.force the pie use flag
12 > > depending on hardened/non-hardened profiles.
13 >
14 > While I understand that enabling pie requires some more planning to
15 > avoid breakage, I hope this is not the final solution we aim for. I
16 > really think it's about time that pie becomes the default in Gentoo.
17
18 For a transition we can probably build everything with -fPIE but not
19 link with -pie. If we want that to happen fast, gcc-6 might do that and
20 gcc-7 add the -pie option.
21
22 Alexis.