From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: The request to abolish games team policy
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 10:53:18
1 On 07/08/2014 07:45 AM, Micha³ Górny wrote:
2 > Dear Community,
3 >
4 > First of all, please do not take this personally. I don't want to
5 > attack any member of the games team or the team in general. I respect
6 > their experience and long-term contribution to Gentoo. However,
7 > I strongly disagree with the policy games team has established and I
8 > believe that their actions do not serve the best interest of Gentoo.
9 >
10 > I am therefore going to propose this request to the next Council. Since
11 > this will likely require a fair amount of prior discussion, I would
12 > like to start it already, hopefully reaching at least some point before
13 > the appropriate Council meeting.
16 > I would like to ask the Council to abolish the following policies that
17 > have been established by the games team:
18 >
19 > 1. that the games team has authority over the actual maintainers
20 > on every game ebuild,
21 >
22 > 2. that every ebuild has to inherit games.eclass as the last eclass
23 > inherited [1], even if it actually increases the ebuild size rather
24 > than helping,
25 >
26 > 3. that games must adhere to games team-specific install locations
27 > and ownership rules, shortly listed in [2].
28
29 Why is Council intervention needed to abolish these policies? They're
30 not binding.
31 As far as I know, the games team has no special status so like any other
32 project they can recommend whatever they want - nobody is obliged to
33 listen (I certainly don't).