From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Deadlines for next Python implementations
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 21:07:48
1 On Mon, 2020-06-01 at 15:49 -0500, Matthias Maier wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jun 1, 2020, at 15:27 CDT, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > 2020-08-01 Python 3.7 migration deadline
5 > >
6 > > After this date, we lastrite all remaining packages that haven't been
7 > > ported. This gives people roughly two months, with a ping one month
8 > > from now.
9 > > [...]
10 > > 2020-12-01 Python 3.8 migration deadline
11 > >
12 > > We lastrite all the unmigrated packages.
13 >
14 > Most of the time (guess >99%) this "porting" simply consists of
15 > "keywording" with the new python target, i.e., a one-line change in the
16 > ebuild.
17 >
18 > What about we "auto keyword" all remaining packages that have a
19 > python3_6 target but lack the python3_7 target instead? Meaning, just
20 > add the python3_7 value to the corresponding PYTHON_*TARGET.
21 >
22 > Given the fact how little difference there is between python3_6 and
23 > python3_7 this seems to be the appropriate, gentler approach here.
26 Most of these packages are unmaintained, seriously outdated and they may
27 actually be broken with py3.7 (because they're so seriously outdated).
28 I don't see that as solving a problem, it merely shoves it under
29 the carpet and leaves us with the same shove-under-the-carpet attitude
30 for the next few years.
31
32 I like to think of these migrations as opportunity to fix some broken
33 ebuilds, update some packages and last rite all the things that aren't
34 maintained.
37 Best regards,
38 Michał Górny