From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Apache build
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 15:23:10
1 On Monday 07 June 2004 13:05, Josh Ockert wrote:
2 > No, it isn't a user error.
3
4 Of course it was, Josh. The user didn't correctly re-configure the Apache
5 config file. Just because the user had pre-conceived ideas about the
6 contents of the Apache config file, it doesn't mean that Apache was at fault.
7
8 > The default configuration for Apache 2
9 > *and* Apache 1.x let you change your DocumentRoot without having to
10 > create a specific <Directory> section, as they are covered by
11 > <Directory />.
12
13 Agreed. But, at the moment, our configuration files do not.
14
15 It would seem sensible for us to look into switching to the same config files
16 that are normally installed by Apache.
17
18 > "My guess is that the original Apache2 config files that we ship were
19 > designed to look like the older Apache1 configuration files."
20 >
21 > Eh? You don't ship any *original* Apache2 config files AFAICS and no,
22 > they look nothing like the older config files.
23
24 I've certainly used separate httpd.conf and commonapache.conf files on a
25 non-Gentoo system in the past. Can't remember which distro it was tho ...
26
27 > Very definitely an "I'm right and you're wrong and I won't even bother
28 > explaining it to you because you're obviously inferior to me and you
29 > won't understand" attitude. Glad he's gone.
30
31 You're entitled to your own opinion, of course, but haranging someone who a)
32 did a lot of great things for Gentoo, and b) isn't here to defend himself is
33 hardly going to endear you to us, now is it? ;-)
34
35 > I didn't say Apache was *already* mentioned by name. I simply said we
36 > don't want it to be. You'll notice two things about this: first of
37 > all, there is no real way to express an explicit *current* wish for
38 > the future. It is semantically incorrect to make the modal
39 > future-tense, because it is a current wish, and as it is modal, you
40 > cannot add tense to its argument (it's an infinitive). Second, you'll
41 > also note that English uses something called the "close future" tense
42 > which is identical in conjugation to the present tense. For example:
43 > "I'm going to the store" doesn't mean that you are _at the moment_ en
44 > route. Similarly, "I'm biking the Kalhaven Trail this Sunday" doesn't
45 > necessarily imply that you are biking today and that "this" (ie, the
46 > current day) is Sunday. Many diverse languages have this, languages as
47 > different as French and Chinese. (In fact, in Chinese using the
48 > present with a temporal AdvP/SPrep/whatever is the *primary* method of
49 > expressing the tense of the verb)
50
51 Come back when you're less likely to rant, and more likely to talk.
52
53 Best regards,
54 Stu
55 --
56 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
57 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
58 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
59
60 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
61 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C
62 --