From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-project] eudev project announcement
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 16:21:30
1 On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
4 > eudev is a Gentoo project is not Gentoo. Same could be said for OpenRC.
7 OpenRC isn't a Gentoo project, at least, it wasn't in the past.
8
9 The social contract defines Gentoo as a collection of free knowledge,
10 which includes "free software contributed by various developers to the
11 Gentoo Project." The social contract is meaningless if it doesn't
12 apply to Gentoo projects. Gentoo projects cover all the arch teams,
13 portage, and all of our documentation.
14
15 Projects are just how we organize the administration of Gentoo. They
16 aren't something distinct from Gentoo. When you work on a Gentoo
17 project, you work on Gentoo.
18
19 > I guess you misunderstood what is Gentoo and what is a Gentoo Project.
22 Enlighten us, what is Gentoo, if nothing in any Gentoo project is Gentoo?
23
24 What exactly do you think that section of the Social Contract actually
25 covers? Or is it a pretty document we stick on our website but ignore
26 when it is somehow inconvenient?
27
28 As I said, I'm fine with making exceptions if it makes sense and
29 furthers the overall mission of Gentoo. However, we shouldn't just
30 ignore the social contract without any kind of consideration at all.
31 If the community doesn't like the social contract we could of course
32 consider amending it as well.
33
34 Gentoo isn't GitHub. When people donate money to Gentoo they're not
35 donating so that a club of elite coders can use the infrastructure to
36 host just anything that suits their fancy. The reason that we let any
37 Gentoo developer just start a project is because it helps promote
38 innovation and cuts through bureaucracy. That doesn't mean that
39 Gentoo holds no interest in the work that is done under its name.
40
41 I think that Duncan pointed out a great reason to use LGPL, and using
42 a license that lets us better collaborate with the overall FOSS
43 community is something I think is well-aligned with Gentoo's mission
44 (We Will Give Back to the Free Software Community). However, if we
45 use LGPL it should because of something like this, and not simply be
46 because those working on the project picked it. If for whatever
47 reason the fork diverges to a point where we aren't giving back in the
48 form of patches to upstream then I'd argue that it would make sense to
49 move back to the GPL (something trivially done with or without
50 copyright assignment due to the nature of the LGPL).
51
52 Rich