From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-project] eudev project announcement
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 15:44:07
1 On 12/15/2012 01:48 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
3 >> The systemd developers were in the middle of a transition to the LGPL
4 >> from the GPL when we forked. We inherited the code in the middle of that
5 >> transition and we see no reason to pursue a different course. Therefore,
6 >> all future changes that we make to eudev will be available under the LGPL.
7 >
8 > Not sure what the driver is to use LGPL, but in general the Gentoo
9 > social contract requires that all contributions be made under GPLv2+
10 > or the CC BY-SAv2+.
11
12 "
13 We will release our contributions to Gentoo as free software, metadata
14 or documentation, under the GNU General Public License version 2 (or
15 later, at our discretion) or the Creative Commons - Attribution / Share
16 Alike version 2 (or later, at our discretion). Any external
17 contributions to Gentoo (in the form of freely-distributable sources,
18 binaries, metadata or documentation) may be incorporated into Gentoo
19 provided that we are legally entitled to do so. However, Gentoo will
20 never depend upon a piece of software or metadata unless it conforms to
21 the GNU General Public License, the GNU Lesser General Public License,
22 the Creative Commons - Attribution/Share Alike or some other license
23 approved by the Open Source Initiative (OSI).
24 "
25
26 eudev is a Gentoo project is not Gentoo. Same could be said for OpenRC.
27
28 > Why not just use GPLv2+? The LGPL is compatible, so this would not
29 > prevent us from merging udev changes.
30
31 udev and eudev provide:
32
33 - a daemon
34 - a set of core rules
35 - a library to let applications interact with udev (libudev)
36 - a generic language binding using glib-introspection (libgudev)
37
38 makes perfectly sense to have libraries using LGPL (or even more
39 permissive licenses).
40
41 I guess you misunderstood what is Gentoo and what is a Gentoo Project.
42
43 lu