From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-project] eudev project announcement
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 12:49:56
1 On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
2 > The systemd developers were in the middle of a transition to the LGPL
3 > from the GPL when we forked. We inherited the code in the middle of that
4 > transition and we see no reason to pursue a different course. Therefore,
5 > all future changes that we make to eudev will be available under the LGPL.
6
7 Not sure what the driver is to use LGPL, but in general the Gentoo
8 social contract requires that all contributions be made under GPLv2+
9 or the CC BY-SAv2+. I'm sure exceptions can be made if they make
10 sense and are aligned with Gentoo's mission (likely something that
11 would fall on the Foundation to approve). If eudev were a non-Gentoo
12 project then Gentoo could depend on it as long as it used any
13 OSI-approved license.
14
15 Why not just use GPLv2+? The LGPL is compatible, so this would not
16 prevent us from merging udev changes.
17
18 Not suggesting that we shouldn't use the LGPL if there is a good
19 reason to do so that is aligned with Gentoo's mission. I would just
20 like to understand the reason for it.
21
22 Rich