From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] System stability - update.mask
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 06:23:41
1 Hello, its a nice proposal, but one that shows our current systems
2 weakness right now.
3
4 Fex. we currently have 256 package entries in package.mask
5 $(cat package.mask |grep "/" - |grep -v "#" - |wc -l)
6 256
7 How many of those are known "BROKEN" packages and how many are just
8 there because we need more testing, or because some older package needs
9 a checkup to make sure it all works nicely?
10
11 Anyone? can you answer without looking into the package.mask?
12 I know I cant.. I also know I have some packages there that just need
13 some more user input before we can unmask them and call them stable.
14
15 To split package.mask into "broken.mask" and "testme.mask" could solve
16 part of this, simply autogenerating package.mask at every emerge is a
17 trivial task for that matter. (cat broken.mask testme.mask>package.mask)
18
19 this isn't the magic solution we all have been waiting for.. sorry. I
20 dont think there is one here.
23 //Spider
27 begin quote
28 On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:05:53 -0400