From: Dane Smith <c1pher@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Change policy about live ebuilds
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 03:13:20
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 11/23/2010 08:30 PM, Mark Loeser wrote:
5 > Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> said:
6 >> Hi there,
7 >>
8 >> The official policy for live ebuilds is the following one:
9 >>
10 >> http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/functions/src_unpack/cvs-sources/index.html
11 >>
12 >> I don't quite agree with this policy and I guess most of you don't agree
13 >> either looking at the number of live ebuilds/package.mask entries.
14 >>
15 >> My proposal is to keep empty keywords on live ebuilds without masking
16 >> them via package.mask
17 >>
18 >> Users interpret this as a 'double masking' which in fact it is since
19 >> they need to touch two files before they are able to use the package.
20 >>
21 >> I also know that we can use overlays for that, but distribute the
22 >> ebuilds among dev/proj overlays is not always a solution.
23 >
24 > I'm personally against such a change and would infact like to see all
25 > live packages nuked from the tree and moved to some experimental tree.
26 > If you move them there, I don't care what policies you apply, but we
27 > should try to maintain a solid set of working packages in the main tree,
28 > which no one can guarantee with a live ebuild. I know most people
29 > aren't going to agree with me, but I felt the need to say it anyway.
32 I know I'm still new around these parts, but I'll offer my two cents
33 anyway. Take it for what you will.
34
35 There are two mini-discussions I see going on:
36 1) Making the use of said 'live' ebuilds simpler and more convenient.
37 2) The purpose of live ebuilds and their eligibility to be in the tree.
38
39 As far as number one is concerned, I think that KEYWORDS="" is probably
40 a fair compromise. I don't really think adding a p.mask entry in
41 addition to that is necessary unless the it should be masked for some
42 reason other than that it is a 'live' ebuild.
43
44 As to number two, I would be inclined to agree that perhaps they should
45 be moved to a separate tree/overlay. I realize this is a major
46 undertaking, and is probably less than feasible, however, I have never
47 been a major fan of live ebuilds in the main tree. Either use a
48 snapshot, or move it to an overlay. Live ebuilds are a QA nightmare and
49 do not belong in the main tree. Only stable and experimental should be
50 in there. If that occurs, the discussion can be rendered somewhat moot.
51 KEYWORDS="" and no p.mask entry. They're in their own overlay, and
52 there's no worries as far as stability or the main tree so the p.mask
53 policy could safely be done away with.
54
55 Regards,
56 - --
57 Dane Smith (c1pher)
58 Gentoo Linux Developer -- Crypto / Sunrise / x86
59 RSA Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0x0C2E1531&op=index