From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Change policy about live ebuilds
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 01:30:48
1 Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> said:
2 > Hi there,
3 >
4 > The official policy for live ebuilds is the following one:
5 >
6 > http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/functions/src_unpack/cvs-sources/index.html
7 >
8 > I don't quite agree with this policy and I guess most of you don't agree
9 > either looking at the number of live ebuilds/package.mask entries.
10 >
11 > My proposal is to keep empty keywords on live ebuilds without masking
12 > them via package.mask
13 >
14 > Users interpret this as a 'double masking' which in fact it is since
15 > they need to touch two files before they are able to use the package.
16 >
17 > I also know that we can use overlays for that, but distribute the
18 > ebuilds among dev/proj overlays is not always a solution.
19
20 I'm personally against such a change and would infact like to see all
21 live packages nuked from the tree and moved to some experimental tree.
22 If you move them there, I don't care what policies you apply, but we
23 should try to maintain a solid set of working packages in the main tree,
24 which no one can guarantee with a live ebuild. I know most people
25 aren't going to agree with me, but I felt the need to say it anyway.
28 Mark Loeser
29 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
30 email - mark AT halcy0n DOT com
31 web - http://www.halcy0n.com