From: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Introducing /srv into Gentoo Linux
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 08:43:34
1 On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 20:14, Drake Wyrm wrote:
2 > Personally, I'm in favor of </srv>. Users need home directories, be they
3 > humans or daemons. Humans can logon to other machines. Ergo, </home> is
4 > shareable. Daemons cannot logon to other machines. Ergo, </srv> is not
5 > sharable.
6
7 But that's the trouble - half the people in this thread have assumed
8 that /srv would be remote mounted in from somewhere, others have assumed
9 it would be local data only, and others have thought it *should* be
10 sharable.
11
12 Indeed, there's even been variation of opinion of whether or not /var
13 can be mounted in from a remote source (I choked when I saw that, but
14 hey, /var-is-local-machine-specific-only is just the way I learned it).
15
16 Point being that basic assumption in our own user base are wide and
17 varied, and so regardless of what FHS or LSB or our Devs or anyone else
18 says, there will be a wide variation of how people will want to do it on
19 their own machines / at their own sites.
20
21 Gentoo's greatest strength is it's flexibility and it's lack of imposed
22 dogma. Please don't loose sight of that precious, wondrous and, [in
23 Linux distro space] unique aspect of your work.
24
25 AfC
26 Sydney
29 Andrew Frederick Cowie
30 Operational Dynamics Consulting Pty Ltd
31
32 Australia: +61 2 9977 6866 North America: +1 646 472 5054
33
34 http://www.operationaldynamics.com/
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list