From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Introducing /srv into Gentoo Linux
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 09:08:09
1 On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 11:07:12PM -0500, in <49728.141.166.184.215.1075954032.squirrel@×××××××××××××××××××.edu>, Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
2 > John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu> wrote:
3 > > Am I wrong in assuming that the people responsible for FHS has already
4 > > had this discussion?
5 >
6 > Fortunately we don't blindly follow the lead of others, but instead we
7 > think for ourselves. While their discussion is useful as a reference, we
8 > need to agree with their decision before implementing it.
9
10 Absolutely! Let us discuss this.
11
12 But better would have been for us to discuss this when the folks at
13 freestandards.org were discussing it. If it's such a bad idea, then
14 maybe it should have been kept out of the standard. This is one of those
15 "voice your opinion when it counts" sort of things. Gentoo Linux aims
16 toward LSB (and therefore FHS) compliance. There is a difference between
17 "deferring decision-making to others" and "blindly following the lead of
18 others". Perhaps, though, Gentoo could join some of these working groups
19 and open a few `liaison' projects thereto.
20
21 Personally, I'm in favor of </srv>. Users need home directories, be they
22 humans or daemons. Humans can logon to other machines. Ergo, </home> is
23 shareable. Daemons cannot logon to other machines. Ergo, </srv> is not
24 sharable. It may not have a great deal of precedent, but it's a good
25 idea.
28 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
29 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
30 --Ghost in the Shell