From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo helping with FHS
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 16:51:28
1 On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 04:14, Drake Wyrm wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 11:07:12PM -0500, in <49728.141.166.184.215.1075954032.squirrel@×××××××××××××××××××.edu>, Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
3 > > John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu> wrote:
4 > > > Am I wrong in assuming that the people responsible for FHS has already
5 > > > had this discussion?
6 > >
7 > > Fortunately we don't blindly follow the lead of others, but instead we
8 > > think for ourselves. While their discussion is useful as a reference, we
9 > > need to agree with their decision before implementing it.
10 >
11 > Absolutely! Let us discuss this.
12 >
13 > But better would have been for us to discuss this when the folks at
14 > freestandards.org were discussing it. If it's such a bad idea, then
15 > maybe it should have been kept out of the standard. This is one of those
16 > "voice your opinion when it counts" sort of things. Gentoo Linux aims
17 > toward LSB (and therefore FHS) compliance. There is a difference between
18 > "deferring decision-making to others" and "blindly following the lead of
19 > others". Perhaps, though, Gentoo could join some of these working groups
20 > and open a few `liaison' projects thereto.
21
22 This is a great idea. Any volunteers? I don't have the time for it right
23 now.
24
25 Donnie