From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Features and documentation
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 02:28:13
1 On 11/28/07, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 16:43 Wed 28 Nov , Alec Warner wrote:
3 > > On 11/28/07, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
4 > > > Here's my understanding of what you said: Because people will break
5 > > > rules and violate standards, we shouldn't have any.
6 > > >
7 > > > Is that accurate?
8 > > >
9 > >
10 > > Kind of.
11 > >
12 > > Most people follow most rules. Most people break a subset of rules.
13 > >
14 > > You are essentially adding an unreasonable (in my view) rule that I
15 > > expect nearly everyone to break or ignore, thereby adding little or no
16 > > value to the project as whole. Most people care about documentation
17 > > in the abstract sense, almost no one cares *enough* to write any ;)
18 > >
19 > > Forcing people to write documentation won't get it written, people
20 > > will continue to act like we just saw and either the rule will get
21 > > ignored, or someone will change the rule, or people will leave because
22 > > the rule is enforced aggressively and it has ruined the ability to
23 > > contribute to the project.
24 >
25 > The Linux kernel seems to still have contributors, despite its
26 > requirement. It seems like people decide to leave after nearly any
27 > change Gentoo makes these days, so I'm not even sure how much we should
28 > consider that unless we want to stop all development and do nothing.
29 > (But I guess that also would be a change, so people would quit.)
30 >
31 > > This is why I offered to write the GLEP for Diego and Cardoe, because
32 > > I know they are not interested in writing it themselves. Thats why we
33 > > have a doc-team that for some sick reason enjoy writing and
34 > > maintaining documentation.
35 >
36 > You've made some great points here about working with people who enjoy
37 > dealing with docs. What I'm saying is that we should work with these
38 > people before committing rather than after.
41 I can get behind that then ;)
42
43 > Thanks,
44 > Donnie