From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: generic "container" keyword for init scripts
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2015 16:51:03
1 On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 09:11:45AM -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 12:24:05AM +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 > > Rather than replacing all of the system-specific keywords, can we make
4 > > 'container' into an alias that expands to the full list of known container
5 > > types? That way, if there is an init script that is specific to some container
6 > > type, it would still be usable.
7 >
8 > This is the approach I would personally be more comfortable with.
9
10 Thinking about this more, there definitely is a concern imo.
11
12 The "container" keyword, being generic, would have its meaning expanded
13 to cover new container systems as they come along. This means if a
14 service script has the keyword "-container" it will not work under any
15 current or future container systems. On the other hand, adding
16 "container" means it will work under all of them.
17
18 The more I think about this, I think fine-grained control rather than
19 just using a single keyword for all containers is the better option.
20
21 Thoughts?
22
23 William