From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: generic "container" keyword for init scripts
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2015 17:01:10
1 On 12/01/2015 08:50 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > The "container" keyword, being generic, would have its meaning expanded
3 > to cover new container systems as they come along. This means if a
4 > service script has the keyword "-container" it will not work under any
5 > current or future container systems. On the other hand, adding
6 > "container" means it will work under all of them.
7
8 If it's similar to how license groups work, then there is room for doing
9 things like "-@container docker" which means no containers except
10 docker, or "@container -docker" which means all containers except
11 docker. Keyword groups can be implemented using a simple expansion
12 mechanism, just like license groups.
13
14 > The more I think about this, I think fine-grained control rather than
15 > just using a single keyword for all containers is the better option.
16
17 Keyword groups, as described above, result in a flexible combination of
18 both approaches.
19 --
20 Thanks,
21 Zac