From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: openrc-0.8.1 stable candidate
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 17:48:49
1 Jeroen Roovers posted on Wed, 13 Apr 2011 18:43:27 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > 1) It's a couple of years old now. :)
4 > 2) Having used it all that time on some systems, I don't see that many
5 > superficial changes, or for that matter, deviations from the old init
6 > system. I would rather think baselayout-2/openrc simply extends and
7 > improves on baselayout-1.
8
9 Having used and watched the new version evolve, I agree, to a point. Yes
10 it's an extension of the old. But like that old tale of the frog in the
11 boiling water, I think more has changed than we may realize at first.
12
13 Or another way to put it: If it's so close to the old version, there
14 should be little protest in going back. But I know at least personally,
15 I've *NO* interest in doing that!
16
17 For one thing, /real/ parallel boot makes quite a difference! For
18 another, I remember baselayout-1's lack of real dependency based ordering
19 in early-boot, with the arbitrary ordered list of early-start services as
20 a substitute since it couldn't manage dependencies at that level.
21
22 But that said, it's a definite extension of the ideas found in
23 baselayout-1, indeed. Stable Gentooers should find much they already know
24 in the new system. It's certainly not the change that switching to
25 systemd, for example, would be.
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman