From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item: GRUB2 migration
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 18:18:35
1 On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
2 <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 9/21/13 8:42 AM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
4 >> GRUB2 will be stabilized soon (bug 455544). Here's a draft of a news
5 >> item to hopefully prevent any confusion. Please review.
6 >
7 > Great news! Thanks for working on this, and it basically works
8 > (chainloaded for now, see below) on my x86 system.
9 >
10 > Some general remarks:
11 >
12 > 1. When using chainloaded GRUB2, neither Linux kernel boot messages nor
13 > openrc boot messages would show up. Also, at shutdown openrc shutdown
14 > messages were also not visible. Everything is fine if I boot the kernel
15 > using GRUB legacy. This is inside VMWare Fusion.
18 Hmm... I don't really have a clue here. I will try to reproduce it in qemu.
19
20 > 2. At least /etc/default/grub refers to /boot/grub2, as opposed to
21 > /boot/grub from Gentoo docs.
24 Thanks for catching that; fixed in the tree.
25
26 >> GRUB2 uses a different configuration format, and requires a manual
27 >> migration before your system will actually use it. A guide [1] is
28 >> available on the gentoo.org website.
29 >>
30 >> [...]
31 >>
32 >> [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/grub2-migration.xml
33 >
34 > The grub postinst message links to
35 > <http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start> instead - and that wiki
36 > page has a link to <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/grub2-migration.xml> .
37 >
38 > IMHO it would be elegant for the news item to match the postinst
39 > message: either make the grub2-migration.xml point to wiki as possibly
40 > containing more information (and switch grub postint to point to
41 > grub2-migration.xml), or make both link to the wiki.
44 How about linking to both pages from the news item?
45
46 For the postinst message, I could link to the migration guide if
47 sys-boot/grub:0 is installed. If grub:0 is not installed, there should
48 be no need to "migrate".