From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item: GRUB2 migration
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 18:08:05
1 On 9/21/13 8:42 AM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > GRUB2 will be stabilized soon (bug 455544). Here's a draft of a news
3 > item to hopefully prevent any confusion. Please review.
4
5 Great news! Thanks for working on this, and it basically works
6 (chainloaded for now, see below) on my x86 system.
7
8 Some general remarks:
9
10 1. When using chainloaded GRUB2, neither Linux kernel boot messages nor
11 openrc boot messages would show up. Also, at shutdown openrc shutdown
12 messages were also not visible. Everything is fine if I boot the kernel
13 using GRUB legacy. This is inside VMWare Fusion.
14
15 2. At least /etc/default/grub refers to /boot/grub2, as opposed to
16 /boot/grub from Gentoo docs.
17
18 > GRUB2 uses a different configuration format, and requires a manual
19 > migration before your system will actually use it. A guide [1] is
20 > available on the gentoo.org website.
21 >
22 > [...]
23 >
24 > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/grub2-migration.xml
25
26 The grub postinst message links to
27 <http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start> instead - and that wiki
28 page has a link to <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/grub2-migration.xml> .
29
30 IMHO it would be elegant for the news item to match the postinst
31 message: either make the grub2-migration.xml point to wiki as possibly
32 containing more information (and switch grub postint to point to
33 grub2-migration.xml), or make both link to the wiki.
34
35 Paweł