From: Ed Grimm <paranoid@××××××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 30: "Planet Gentoo" web log aggregator
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 02:31:09
1 On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 12:55:03AM +0100 or thereabouts, Daniel Drake wrote:
4 >> The alternative to this is not to provide our developers with weblog
5 >> hosting - instead, we'd get people to sign up for one of the many
6 >> free blogging services available elsewhere.
7 >
8 > As I've said on IRC a few times, I think it's important to offer blogs
9 > to our developers that don't already have them, but want to take
10 > advantage of the planetgentoo service. That said, I don't see a lot
11 > of other devs here clamoring for this feature, so I may have been
12 > wrong.
13 >
14 > If there are devs out there that want to see us host blogs as part of
15 > GLEP 30, please speak up. Otherwise, we may elect to dump that
16 > particular feature and just go with an aggregator.
17
18 What benefit would Gentoo blogs offer over the competition? I think
19 there is a risk that this will needlessly divert developer resources to
20 duplicating the efforts of others. I think therefore that the question
21 should be considered before proceeding.
24 I understand that Gentoo would not have the scaling issues that some
25 other blog sites have encountered, as it's only looking at hosting a
26 subset of its registered developers. However, there's all of the other
27 issues, such as security and reliability, left. One could simply
28 utilize an open-source blog product. However, there are times when such
29 packages make changes that require more than a trivial upgrade; it's
30 much easier to just use an existing service.
31
32 Regarding people who want to have development/personal blog separation -
33 many of the blog sites allow users to have multiple accounts. Also,
34 having accounts on two different blog sites isn't that difficult.
35
36 The two advantages I see for having Gentoo host developer blogs are both
37 security: it could allow developers to restrict access to discussions
38 regarding security holes with pre-release restrictions even from
39 non-Gentoo blog admins, and it could enable secure sharing of a user
40 password associtated with another aspect of the gentoo.org network (such
41 as the bugzilla password.)
42
43 I personally don't see the other reasons people have provided for
44 wanting a Gentoo blog as valid. It's easy to find a list of free blog
45 sites; it's easy to get a second blog account, and frequently easy to
46 get one that can share the same end-user tools. I don't see it getting
47 developers involved that otherwise wouldn't, unless they have trust
48 issues with the other blog sites out there.
49
50 Ed
53 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list