From: Aurelien Gouny <aurelien@×××××.org>
To: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@×××××.net>
Cc: Henti Smith <bain@×××××××.za>, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>, kdolkas@××××××××××××.gr, gentoo-dev@g.o, manson@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage-2.0.45-r6 SERIOUSLY fucked up ?
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 22:42:13
1 On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 17:20, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
2 > Don't blame it on the west, Mr Smith :)
3 >
4 > I wasn't [originally] trying to blame anybody, I was originally trying to
5 > tell the person I thought had made the mistake (via the Changelog) to please
6 > fix it asap (hence my direct CC) rather than have that person have to wait
7 > and wade through the list.
8 >
9 > No matter which longitude the attitude comes from, the bug needs fixing, but
10 > more importantly, the bug should never have made into stable. This really
11 > should be an effort to shore up quality control, no blame attributed to
12 > anybody in particular. The result should be that a mistake is learned from,
13 > not ignored. Daniel says that it won't be ignored, so I am very happy with
14 > that response.
15 >
16 > Tom Veldhouse
17 >
18 I would like to thanks Tom Veldhouse!
19 Without him I would be running a 'crashed' Gentoo Linux because I was
20 about to make a emerge rsync when I red his email.
21
22 Even if he made a mistake in what he said, that's all understable, I
23 would have made the same thing: first post an alert asap THEN get a look
24 on the ChangeLog !
25 And even if this portage revision should never have been in the stable
26 tree, we don't have to forget that we're humans, that we can make errors
27 (even more when we're something to make something useful) and that
28 backup is the only real way to have our data safe!
29
30 Thanks again Tom,
31 PS: sorry for my english ;)
32 --