From: Thomas Anderson <gentoofan23@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI-2 - Let's get it started
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:16:29
1 On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 08:23:59AM +0100, Richard Brown wrote:
2 > Also, I think you seem to be suggesting that gentoo is so well tested
3 > that once something's marked stable, there's no point in testing it.
4
5 A very good point. Just last week the *stable* perl cairo bindings were
6 broken by a x11-libs/cairo bump. We caught this however and noticed that
7 the new perl cairo bindings worked. Those were then stabilized at the
8 same time and users now have a working cairo.
9
10 What would have happened if that hadn't happened? Any package that
11 depended on dev-perl/Cairo would've been broken.
12
13 The lesson to learn is that once something is stable doesn't mean it's
14 always stable. If a user finds out that way and files a bug, chances are
15 greater that he'll get a dev-perl/Cairo that works with the new cairo
16 version soon, rather than a dev-perl/Cairo version that breaks
17 immediately.
18
19 What would you rather have?