From: Kevyn Shortell <trance@g.o>
To: danarmak@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 11:21:11
1 On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 02:04, Dan Armak wrote:
2
3 These are just my opinions, don't claim to be an expert bug having
4 worked in a production enviroment with a large quanity of systems....
5
6 > On Monday 02 February 2004 17:17, Kurt Lieber wrote:
7 > > Please take a moment to review the GLEP and offer any feedback or ask any
8 > > questions.
9 >
10 > If we're introducing stable keywords, why do we need a cvs branch? So far
11 > keywords have been used to identify logical trees and people have been
12 > talking about changing the cvs/rsync setup somehow to allow users to fetch a
13 > tree with just the keywords they want. Ebuild revision numbers allow
14 > different ebuilds for different keywords/trees for the same package version.
15 >
16 > A real separate cvs branch seems like a lot of extra work; most updates going
17 > into the stable branch will probably also go into the main tree. What am I
18 > missing?
19
20 A lot of ebuilds have been 'accidently' deleted by over-zealous space
21 reclaimation workers not knowing which builds work on all supported
22 arches.
23
24 Yes a stable branch is a lot of work. But that's the whole point. It is
25 a 'stable' branch thereby implying a lot of work has gone into it to
26 make it so. Until we can go 6 months without someone deleting a critical
27 ebuild that's required by an alt-arch just because they their particular
28 arch has a newer version, we need a seperate branch.
29
30 > About keyword naming, I agree with Stuart's note elsewhere in the thread that
31 > 'stable' is misleading. I also want to ask how the transition of
32 > arch-->~stable:arch-->stable:arch is different from the existing transition
33 > of ~arch-->arch.
34
35 From an enterprise perspective having something tagged stable after 2
36 weeks, does not qualify as stable, that's enough to move it to the alpha
37 stage. Having something beat on for a month with no critical bugs might
38 qualify for the beta stage, have it go for 2 months without any
39 significant bugs might qualify for the stable monkier. Just because it
40 doesn't have any obvious bugs doesn't mean there isn't any. Memory leaks
41 come to mind. Those take days, weeks sometimes to be flushed out.
44 > If it isn't different and it's just a matter of the package being more and
45 > more tested and used and proven without known (unfixed) bugs/vulnerabilites,
46 > I don't think it's appropriate to create keywords by adding several modifiers
47 > to an arch's name (~ and stable). We're not really combining the properties
48 > of ~ and 'stable', and might as well assign stability levels with keywords
49 > like 0:x86 for ~x86, ..., 3:x86 for stable:x86.
50
51 I think this is where having a seperate branch would actually help. If
52 it's in the stable branch, there's no keyword required to tag it as
53 such.
56 > Or, what is the difference? The GLEP doesn't actually explain the meaning of
57 > 'stable' marking - the uncertainty Stuart refers to.
58 >
59 > One possible distinction is: stable status is given to a package that is
60 > widely enough used and respected in the big bad world and has no known bugs,
61 > as opposed to a package that's in portage for a month and has no bugs but
62 > hasn't actually seen much use or been a target for attempted attacks. The
63 > latter would never move beyond a regular arch keyword.
64
65 It makes sense. Packages in wide usage get significant bug reports
66 compared to those that aren't. However it's almost impossible to
67 determine currently if a package in portage has seen much use or not.
68
69 Bug reports are some indication, but not always. I had someone after 3
70 weeks of bitching about to his friends and others finally come on the
71 irc channel and say pcmcia doesn't seem to work very well on the kernel
72 version he had tried. I asked him to fill out a bug report so we could
73 get more that it just didn't work and we'd be happy to take a whack at
74 fixing it. He said he hadn't filled out a bug report and when he got
75 around to it he would (still hasn't).
76
77 Just goes to show that something in heavy use, with no bug reports can't
78 really always be considered as stable, just because you haven't seen any
79 issues. If we're going to have a real 'stable' profile/branch/whatever
80 it needs to have serious testing and accountability before we slap the
81 stable monkier on it. Our reputation depends on it.
82
83 > Some ebuilds might perhaps never be considered for the stable tree at all
84 > because the target audience demonstrably isn't interested in them (based also
85 > on actual usage data after the tree is up).
86
87 Why should that be a determining factor? If the package has been
88 *proven* stable, why not consider it? Determining what the target
89 audience of stable packages seems to be a no brainer. If it got included
90 on a RH CD, it would lead creedence to the packages stability and
91 interest. After all SOMEONE wanted it, right? =)
92
93 > Both these are an RFC more than a suggestion; I want to understand the GLEP's
94 > idea, not propose an alternative of my own.
95 --
96 trance @ irc.freenode.net #gentoo-ppc
97 Kevyn Shortell <trance@g.o>
98 Gentoo PPC Operational Manager / PPC dev