From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 10:09:05
1 On Monday 02 February 2004 17:17, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > Please take a moment to review the GLEP and offer any feedback or ask any
3 > questions.
4
5 If we're introducing stable keywords, why do we need a cvs branch? So far
6 keywords have been used to identify logical trees and people have been
7 talking about changing the cvs/rsync setup somehow to allow users to fetch a
8 tree with just the keywords they want. Ebuild revision numbers allow
9 different ebuilds for different keywords/trees for the same package version.
10
11 A real separate cvs branch seems like a lot of extra work; most updates going
12 into the stable branch will probably also go into the main tree. What am I
13 missing?
14
15 ---
16
17 About keyword naming, I agree with Stuart's note elsewhere in the thread that
18 'stable' is misleading. I also want to ask how the transition of
19 arch-->~stable:arch-->stable:arch is different from the existing transition
20 of ~arch-->arch.
21
22 If it isn't different and it's just a matter of the package being more and
23 more tested and used and proven without known (unfixed) bugs/vulnerabilites,
24 I don't think it's appropriate to create keywords by adding several modifiers
25 to an arch's name (~ and stable). We're not really combining the properties
26 of ~ and 'stable', and might as well assign stability levels with keywords
27 like 0:x86 for ~x86, ..., 3:x86 for stable:x86.
28
29 Or, what is the difference? The GLEP doesn't actually explain the meaning of
30 'stable' marking - the uncertainty Stuart refers to.
31
32 One possible distinction is: stable status is given to a package that is
33 widely enough used and respected in the big bad world and has no known bugs,
34 as opposed to a package that's in portage for a month and has no bugs but
35 hasn't actually seen much use or been a target for attempted attacks. The
36 latter would never move beyond a regular arch keyword.
37
38 Some ebuilds might perhaps never be considered for the stable tree at all
39 because the target audience demonstrably isn't interested in them (based also
40 on actual usage data after the tree is up).
41
42 Both these are an RFC more than a suggestion; I want to understand the GLEP's
43 idea, not propose an alternative of my own.
46 Dan Armak
47 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
48 Matan, Israel
49 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
50 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951